September 23, 2011

Free Books Leads Me to An Internet Kerfuffle

Those who know me well know that I like hard cover books (but only in subjects that I fancy). I know that is like admitting to driving a 1995 Buick Regal, but none the less.

Anyway, during one buy at a thrift store, the lady offered me two free hardcover books because “we cannot get rid of those hard cover books fast enough!” Wow. OK, shrill comment aside, I scrounged and picked up a beautiful, fine condition, large ENCARTA DICTIONARY. I love the old GIANT dictionaries like at the school’s library. This was kind of the modern trim version.

Sounded familiar, and had MicroSoft on the cover, so I decided to google “Encarta” and figure out the connection. I barely recalled this recent Internet kerfuffle.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/microsoft-encarta-dies-after-long-battle-with-wikipedia/